BUREAU OF INDIAN EDUCATION
Wingate Elementary School
Fort Wingate, NM
School Janitor (Lead), CY-3566-01
Full time, Year Long
Salary Range $13.81 to $22.68, Per Hour
Wingate Elementary School, Fort Wingate, NM
Issue Date: 06/27/22
Closing Date: 07/11/22 - 04:00 pm, Mountain (DST) Timezone
The Bureau of Indian Education's mission is to provide quality education opportunities from early childhood through life in accordance with the tribes' needs for cultural and economic well-being and in keeping with the wide diversity of Indian tribes and Alaska Native villages as distinct cultural and governmental entities. The Department of the Interior (DOI) places a high value on diversity of experience and cultural perspectives and encourages applications from all interested eligible candidates. Diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility (DEIA) are fundamental principles that guide the Department and allow us to successfully achieve our mission.
JOIN US AS WE INSPIRE THE NEXT GENERATION!STATEMENT OF DUTIES:
Incumbent will create and maintain a safe, positive learning environment to ensure the holistic development of each student and staff member through cultural, social, spiritual, physical and academic experience. Incumbent will support the Bureau of Indian Education’s mission, which is to provide high quality education opportunities from early childhood through life while considering a tribe’s need for cultural and economic well-being. In performing this mission, the BIE takes into account the spiritual, mental, physical, and cultural aspects of school-aged children within their family and tribal community. To meet its trust responsibility to Indian Tribes, BIE works to strengthen education opportunities for American Indian students to be successful and competitive globally; to enhance student participation in their tribal communities; and support tribes in nation-building, in development of the next generation of tribal leaders.
- This position performs a full range of cleaning assignments which includes;
- Cleaning offices, classrooms, storerooms, corridors, stairways and other assigned areas. Sweeps, mops, scrubs, waxes and polishes floors, using an assortment of cleaning instruments including heavy duty cleaning and polishing equipment.
- Dusts, waxes and polishes furniture; empties ashtrays and wastebaskets; cleans and polishes doorknobs and other metal fixtures; vacuums and spot cleans rugs and carpets; washes and replaces venetian blinds, washes ceiling/light fixtures, changes light bulbs or fluorescent tubes using ladders and scaffold.
- Moves heavy furniture, supplies and equipment.
- Maintains restrooms in a clean, orderly and sanitary condition. Sweeps, scrubs and waxes floors. Cleans, disinfects and deodorizes lavatories, urinals and toilet bowls. Cleans mirrors, sinks and water fountains. Replaces deodorizers, toilet tissue, hand towels and soap. Unclogs drains; reports extensive plumbing problems to supervisor as necessary.
- Maintains, adjusts, cleans and oils machinery and equipment utilized; changes or replaces brush rollers, buffers and other attachments as needed.
- May also be required to shovel snow, mow lawns and trim shrubs and hedges.·
- Lead position is responsible for the following;
- Passing on instructions received from supervisors and getting work started
- Working along with other employees and setting the pace
- Demonstrating proper work methods
- Assuring that needed supplies, materials and equipment are available and that needed stock is obtained from supply locations
- Obtaining needed information or decisions from supervisors on problems that come up during the work
- Seeing that there is enough work to keep everyone in the work crew busy
- Checking work while in progress and when finished to see whether the supervisor's instructions on work sequence, procedures, methods and deadlines have been met
- Urging or advising other employees to follow instructions received from supervisors and to meet deadlines
- Assuring that safety and housekeeping rules are followed
- Reporting to supervisors on status and progress of work and causes of work delay.
Preference in filling vacancies is given to qualified Indian candidates in accordance with the Indian Preference Act of 1934 (Title 25, USC, Section 472). Verification Form BIA-4432 must be submitted with the application if claiming Indian Preference. Consideration will be given to Non-Indian applicants in the absence of qualified Indian Preference eligible.EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER:
Within the scope of Indian preference, all candidates will receive consideration without regard to race, color, sex, age, religion, sexual orientation, national origin or other non-merit factors.REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION LANGUAGE:
This agency provides reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities. If you need reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please notify this agency. The decision in granting reasonable accommodation will be on a case-by-case basis.
Refer to BIE Job Category Standards for additional qualification requirements and substitutions for education. Applicants must meet the qualification requirements contained in the BIE Job Category Standard. NOTE: Persons submitting incomplete applications will be given credit only for the information they provide. It is the applicant's responsibility to submit all required documentation in support of their application in order to receive full credit for their Indian Preference, education, training and/or experience. ADDITIONAL INFORMATION WILL NOT BE SOLICITED BY THIS OFFICE.
BASIC EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- High School Diploma
- General Educational Development (GED) Diploma
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- This position is required to complete pre-employment and annual physical that reflects the ability to lift over fifty (50) pounds and wear personal protective equipment.
Good distant vision in one eye and ability to read without strain printed material the size of typewritten characters are required, glasses permitted. Ability to hear the conversational voice, with or without a hearing aid, is required except that some positions may be suitable for persons who are blind or deaf. In most instances, an amputation of arm, hand, leg or foot will not disqualify an applicant for appointment, although it may be necessary that this condition be compensated by use of satisfactory prosthesis. In addition, applicants must have mental and emotional stability.
BASIS OF RATING:
Once the announcement has closed, all applicants for this position will be rated based upon the extent and quality of their experience, training and/or education as reflected on their resume. The judgement of qualification will be based on materials submitted, therefore, it is the applicants’ advantage to give complete thorough and complete information in a neat and orderly fashion.
- U.S. Citizenship is required. You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959 must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration if selected.
- Multiple positions may be filled from this announcement.
- All selections under an announcement must be made within 3 months from the issuance date of the certificate referral list.
- Contract Length: Year Long
- Tour of Duty: Full Time (Seasonal)
- The Bureau of Indian Education has determined that the duties of this position are NOT suitable for telework under any circumstances.
- FLSA: Non-Exempt
- Bargaining Unit: Yes
- One academic year (equivalent to two academic semesters) probationary period may be required. (Remove if the position is not covered by Bargaining Unit)
- May require overtime work.
- Salary includes applicable locality pay.
- Direct Deposit of pay is required.
- A Recruitment Incentive is not being offered. The Recruitment Incentive is an additional percentage added to the salary of the position. Recruitment Incentives are paid throughout the contract period.
- Student Loan Repayment Program (SLRP) will not be authorized.
- Government quarters are available.
- May be subject to drug testing.
- DRIVING REQUIREMENT: Incumbent may be required, as an incidental duty, to operate a government-owned or leased motor vehicle, in the performance of duties, therefore, a valid driver's license is required. Incumbent must have a safe driving record within the three-year period immediately preceding submittal of GSA Form 3607 and be able to meet the safe driving requirements of the Bureau of Indian Education.
- Applicant is subject to a favorable background investigation. This is a Non-Critical Low Risk Position subject to a favorable adjudicated background investigation.
The Investigative Process for Public Trust Positions: Background investigations for public trust positions are conducted to gather information to determine whether applicants are reliable, trustworthy, of good conduct and character, and loyal to the U.S. The information that provided on the Questionnaire for Public Trust Positions (SF-85P) and the Declaration for Federal Employment (OF 306) may be confirmed during the investigation. The investigation may extend beyond the time covered by this form, when necessary to resolve issues.
The applicant's current employer may be contacted as part of the investigation, although the applicant may have previously indicated on applications or other forms that the applicant did not want the current employer to be contacted. If the applicant has a security freeze on their consumer or credit report file, then the agency may not be able to complete the investigation, which can adversely affect the applicant's eligibility for a public trust position or the ability to obtain Federal or contract employment. To avoid such delays, the applicant must request that the consumer reporting agencies lift the freeze in these instances.
In addition to the questions on the SF-85P, inquiry also is made about the applicant's adherence to security requirements, the applicant honesty and integrity, falsification, misrepresentation, and any other behavior, activities, or associations that tend to demonstrate a person is not reliable, trustworthy, or loyal.
After a suitability /fitness determination is made, the applicant may also be subject to continuous vetting which may include periodic reinvestigations to ensure the employee is continuing suitability for employment.
NOTE: Persons submitting incomplete applications will be given credit only for the information they provide. It is the applicant's responsibility to submit all required documentation in support of their application in order to receive full credit for their Indian Preference, education, training and/or experience. ADDITIONAL INFORMATION WILL NOT BE SOLICITED BY THIS OFFICE.
NOTE: To ensure compliance with an applicable preliminary nationwide injunction, which may be supplemented, modified, or vacated, depending on the course of ongoing litigation, the Federal Government will take no action to implement or enforce the COVID-19 vaccination requirement pursuant to Executive Order 14043 on Requiring Coronavirus Disease 2019 Vaccination for Federal Employees. Federal agencies may request information regarding the vaccination status of selected applicants for the purposes of implementing other workplace safety protocols, such as protocols related to masking, physical distancing, testing, travel, and quarantine.
To apply for this position, submit a complete Application Package to include the following:
- Your resume which may be submitted in any written format of your choice. It must clearly identify the following:
- Vacancy Announcement Number
- Month and year of High School Graduation or date GED information received PLUS name of school, city, and state.
- Complete contact information for employer reference (your supervisor) for last 12 months of employment. If none is available, you must provide a professional reference which is a person not related to you and who knows your qualifications and fitness for the kind of job for which you are applying.
- Your resume must support the specialized experience described in this announcement. Your work experience must contain the following:
- Job Title
- Employer’s name and address
- Supervisor's name and phone number
- Starting and ending date (month and year)
- Hours per week
- Claiming Indian Preference: Form BIA 4432, available at Verification of Indian Preference for Employment (PDF), Verification of Indian Preference for employment, is required for claiming Indian Preference. The form must be completed by the appropriate official with the federally recognized tribe where the applicant is enrolled as a member. No other form will be accepted.
- Cover Letter to resume: Cover letter providing your intent for employment and brief narrative of your qualifications or strengths for the position.
- Claiming Current or Prior Federal Service: Copy of most recent SF-50, DD03434 or other accepted equivalent to SF-50, Notification of personnel Action, to identify prior Federal service and/or highest previous rate.
- Claiming Additional Education: Copies of Official transcripts are preferred; student advisement and web-print outs are NOT acceptable submissions.
Copies of Official or Unofficial College Transcript may be accepted for initial qualifications evaluation or pay setting. Transcripts MUST show the degree awarded, date conferred, and all required courses as required by the position. Please note, this may be shown with multiple transcripts.
Upon tentative selection, you MUST submit Official transcripts for all colleges attended before final job offer can be confirmed.
- State Driver’s License: Copy of licensure as identified in the conditions of employment. It must reflect your name, issue date, expiration date, and endorsements (as applicable).
- Claiming Military Service: DD214 (member copy 4) for consideration of service credit for leave purposes.
- Future Military Retirees*: You are required to submit a copy of your retirement DD Form 214 (Member 4 Copy) OR certification document** OR a copy of your retirement letter AND a copy of your terminal leave request (if applicable). You will be required to provide your DD Form 214 (Member 4 Copy) upon issuance.
- Future Separation from the Military*: You are required to submit a copy of your most recent DD Form 214 (Member 4 Copy) OR certification document** OR a copy of your most recent active duty orders AND a copy of your terminal leave request (if applicable). You will be required to provide your DD Form 214(Member 4 Copy) upon issuance.
*Active duty military members who are selected may not be appointed unless on terminal leave or already separated from the armed forces.
** The "certification" is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions not later than 120 days after the date the certification is submitted. The Statement of Service must be signed by, or by direction of, the adjutant, personnel officer, or commander of your unit or higher headquarters, AND the Statement of Service letter must include your rank, dates of active duty service, the Type of Discharge, Character of Service (i.e. honorable), and, if applicable, when your terminal leave will begin.
Applications and all accompanying documents must be received by 07/11/22 - 04:00 pm, Mountain (DST).
SCHOOL MAILING ADDRESS: Wingate Elementary School PO Box 1 Fort Wingate, New Mexico 87316
FAX SIGNED AND DATED APPLICATIONS TO: (505) 488-6312
FOR INFORMATION CONTACT: Miltina Haskie, Business Specialist, (505) 488-6302
For VERIFICATION of our receipt of your application-resume, please contact: Miltina Haskie, Business Specialist, (505) 488-6302Application Deadline
Applications and all accompanying documents must be received by the closing date & time of the announcement.
Applicant’s qualifications will be evaluated solely on the information submitted by them in their applications.
Applications become part of the official record and will not be duplicated or returned.
This office accepts telefaxed applications.
Applications mailed using Government postage and/or envelopes are in violation of OPM and postal regulations and will NOT be considered.
This office does NOT accept applications via e-mail.
PLEASE NOTE: Documents submitted as part of the application package, to include supplemental documents, may be shared beyond the Human Resources Office. Some supplemental documents like military orders and marriage certificates may contain personal information for other than the applicant.