BUREAU OF INDIAN EDUCATION
Baca /Dlo'Ay Azhi Community School
Native Cultural and Language Instructor (Navajo), CY-0301-03
Full time, School Year
Salary Range $21.61 - $34.37, Per Hour
Baca /Dlo'Ay Azhi Community School, Prewitt, NM
Issue Date: 06/24/22
Closing Date: 07/08/22 - 04:30 pm, Mountain (DST) Timezone
The Bureau of Indian Education's mission is to provide quality education opportunities from early childhood through life in accordance with the tribes' needs for cultural and economic well-being and in keeping with the wide diversity of Indian tribes and Alaska Native villages as distinct cultural and governmental entities. The Department of the Interior (DOI) places a high value on diversity of experience and cultural perspectives and encourages applications from all interested eligible candidates. Diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility (DEIA) are fundamental principles that guide the Department and allow us to successfully achieve our mission.
JOIN US AS WE INSPIRE THE NEXT GENERATION!STATEMENT OF DUTIES:
Incumbent will create and maintain a safe, positive learning environment to ensure the holistic development of each student and staff member through cultural, social, spiritual, physical and academic experience. Incumbent will support the Bureau of Indian Education’s mission, which is to provide high quality education opportunities from early childhood through life while considering a tribe’s need for cultural and economic well-being. In performing this mission, the BIE takes into account the spiritual, mental, physical, and cultural aspects of school-aged children within their family and tribal community. To meet its trust responsibility to Indian Tribes, BIE works to strengthen education opportunities for American Indian students to be successful and competitive globally; to enhance student participation in their tribal communities; and support tribes in nation-building, in development of the next generation of tribal leaders.
The incumbent works under the supervision of the principal who makes work assignments for providing service to the student population. Responsibilities include – (1) prepares a general program to teach traditional cultural beliefs and history to students and parents; (2) Demonstrates traditional customs and ceremonies for students and parents; (3) providing assistance in a public relations work on reservation an d in dominant culture in order to disseminate information pertaining to Navajo and Native American culture; (4) prepares training sessions for parents on school curriculum, student handbook, and various programs being offered by the school; (5) will act as the media person in videotaping various school functions, special events and preparing documentaries for training the students and parents in cultural awareness. (6) will act as a liaison to the surrounding communities, other schools, parents, and public in disseminating information on school curriculum and programs.
Preference in filling vacancies is given to qualified Indian candidates in accordance with the Indian Preference Act of 1934 (Title 25, USC, Section 472). Verification Form BIA-4432 must be submitted with the application if claiming Indian Preference. Consideration will be given to Non-Indian applicants in the absence of qualified Indian Preference eligible.EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER:
Within the scope of Indian preference, all candidates will receive consideration without regard to race, color, sex, age, religion, sexual orientation, national origin or other non-merit factors.REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION LANGUAGE:
This agency provides reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities. If you need reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please notify this agency. The decision in granting reasonable accommodation will be on a case-by-case basis.
Refer to BIE Job Category Standards for additional qualification requirements and substitutions for education. Applicants must meet the qualification requirements contained in the BIE Job Category Standard.
BASIC EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
No specific education and/or experience required; must be fluent in Navajo/Dine Language which is demonstrated with valid New Mexico Certification as Native American Language and Cultural Certification (PreK-12).
Additional information for requirements and process for NM Certification can be found at:
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Maintain New Mexico Certification with endorsement for Navajo Language and Culture.
BASIS OF RATING:
Once the announcement has closed, all applicants for this position will be rated based upon the extent and quality of their experience, training and/or education as reflected on their resume. The judgement of qualification will be based on materials submitted, therefore, it is the applicants’ advantage to give complete thorough and complete information in a neat and orderly fashion.
- You must be a U.S. citizen to qualify for this position.
- Applicant is subject to a favorable background investigation. This is a Non-Critical low Risk Position subject to a favorable adjudicated background investigation.
- Subject to a probationary period for equivalent to two (2) academic semesters, which may be extended.
- All male applicants born after December 31, 1959, will be required to complete the certification document to confirm their selective service status.
- Government Housing is NOT available.
- Relocation expenses WILL NOT be paid.
NOTE: Persons submitting incomplete applications will be given credit only for the information they provide. It is the applicant's responsibility to submit all required documentation in support of their application in order to receive full credit for their Indian Preference, education, training and/or experience. ADDITIONAL INFORMATION WILL NOT BE SOLICITED BY THIS OFFICE.
NOTE: To ensure compliance with an applicable preliminary nationwide injunction, which may be supplemented, modified, or vacated, depending on the course of ongoing litigation, the Federal Government will take no action to implement or enforce the COVID-19 vaccination requirement pursuant to Executive Order 14043 on Requiring Coronavirus Disease 2019 Vaccination for Federal Employees. Federal agencies may request information regarding the vaccination status of selected applicants for the purposes of implementing other workplace safety protocols, such as protocols related to masking, physical distancing, testing, travel, and quarantine.
To apply for this position, submit a complete Application Package to include the following:
- Your resume which may be submitted in any written format of your choice. It must clearly identify the following:
- Vacancy Announcement Number
- Month and year of High School Graduation or date GED information received PLUS name of school, city, and state.
- Complete contact information for employer reference (your supervisor) for last 12 months of employment. If none is available, you must provide a professional reference which is a person not related to you and who knows your qualifications and fitness for the kind of job for which you are applying.
- Your resume must support the specialized experience described in this announcement. Your work experience must contain the following:
- Job Title
- Employer’s name and address
- Supervisor's name and phone number
- Starting and ending date (month and year)
- Hours per week
- Claiming Indian Preference: Form BIA 4432, available at Verification of Indian Preference for Employment (PDF), Verification of Indian Preference for employment, is required for claiming Indian Preference. The form must be completed by the appropriate official with the federally recognized tribe where the applicant is enrolled as a member. No other form will be accepted.
- Dept of Education Certificate/Licensure: Copy of professional certification or licensure as identified in the qualifications and/or conditions of employment. You must submit a copy of your current and valid professional certification or licensure with your application package or you will be rated ineligible. It must reflect your name, issue date, expiration date, and endorsements (as applicable).
Form BIA 4432, available at Verification of Indian Preference for Employment (PDF), Verification of Indian Preference for employment, is required for claiming Indian Preference. The form must be completed by the appropriate official with the federally recognized tribe where the applicant is enrolled as a member. No other form will be accepted.
OF-306, Declaration of Federal Employment can be located at https://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/of0306.pdf (will be required upon selection)
Indian Child Protection Requirement Form, must contain original signature and date (will be required upon selection). This position is covered by P.L. 101-647, Indian Children Protection Requirements, and persons convicted of crimes enumerated in the law are not eligible for the position. (2019 version) https://www.bie.edu/sites/default/files/documents/idc2-104343.pdf
Copy of Official College Transcripts can be submitted as verification of post-secondary education. (If selected, applicant must provide Official College Transcripts for final verification and pay setting.)
Copy of most recent SF-50, Notification of personnel Action, for current or former Federal employees to indicate prior Federal service and/or highest previous rate.
DD214 (member copy 4) for consideration of service credit for leave purposes.
Applicant’s qualifications will be evaluated solely on the information submitted by them in their applications.
Applications become part of the official record and will not be duplicated or returned.
This office will accept telefaxed applications.
Applications mailed using Government postage and/or envelopes are in violation of OPM and postal regulations and not be considered.
E-mailed applications/resumes will NOT be accepted.
Applications and all accompanying documents must be received by 07/08/22 - 04:30 pm, Mountain (DST).
SCHOOL MAILING ADDRESS: BIE/Baca/Dlo’ ay azhi Community School Attention: Bernice Etsitty Post Office Box 509 Prewitt, New Mexico 87045
FAX SIGNED AND DATED APPLICATIONS TO: (505) 972-2310
FOR INFORMATION CONTACT: Bianca Alexander , (505) 972-2769, EXT. 1212
For VERIFICATION of our receipt of your application-resume, please contact: Bianca Alexander , (505) 972-2769, EXT. 1212Application Deadline
Applications must be received in Business Office by 4:30pm on July 8, 2022