The Bureau of Indian Education's mission is to provide quality education opportunities from early childhood through life in accordance with the tribes' needs for cultural and economic well-being and in keeping with the wide diversity of Indian tribes and Alaska Native villages as distinct cultural and governmental entities. The Department of the Interior (DOI) places a high value on diversity of experience and cultural perspectives and encourages applications from all interested eligible candidates. Diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility (DEIA) are fundamental principles that guide the Department and allow us to successfully achieve our mission.
Incumbent will create and maintain a safe, positive learning environment to ensure the holistic development of each student and staff member through cultural, social, spiritual, physical and academic experience. Incumbent will support the Bureau of Indian Education’s mission, which is to provide high quality education opportunities from early childhood through life while considering a tribe’s need for cultural and economic well-being. In performing this mission, the BIE takes into account the spiritual, mental, physical, and cultural aspects of school-aged children within their family and tribal community. To meet its trust responsibility to Indian Tribes, BIE works to strengthen education opportunities for American Indian students to be successful and competitive globally; to enhance student participation in their tribal communities; and support tribes in nation-building, in development of the next generation of tribal leaders.
Preference in filling vacancies is given to qualified Indian candidates in accordance with the Indian Preference Act of 1934 (Title 25, USC, Section 472). Verification Form BIA-4432 must be submitted with the application if claiming Indian Preference. Consideration will be given to Non-Indian applicants in the absence of qualified Indian Preference eligible.EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER:
Within the scope of Indian preference, all candidates will receive consideration without regard to race, color, sex, age, religion, sexual orientation, national origin or other non-merit factors.REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION LANGUAGE:
This agency provides reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities. If you need reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please notify this agency. The decision in granting reasonable accommodation will be on a case-by-case basis.
• Operate a passenger bus with student passengers ranging in age from Kindergarten to High School.
• Operate a passenger bus with wheelchair lift.
• Responsible for schedule subordinate staff and approving timecards.
• Review subordinate staff performance.
• Conduct maintenance and safety checks on the school bus prior to beginning all routes and report problems to the designated government representative.
• Responsible for the general cleaning of bus to include cleaning inside of bus daily and washing exterior of the bus once a month.
• Assist in the loading and unloading of children with special needs and their equipment, as well as assisting these students in getting to and from their classrooms.
• Report all disciplinary action to the school principal.
• Record bus route and schedule (including time information on the trip ticket) and fills out accident reports when necessary.
Refer to BIE Job Category Standards for additional qualification requirements and substitutions for education. Applicants must meet the qualification requirements contained in the BIE Job Category Standard.
NOTE: Persons submitting incomplete applications will be given credit only for the information they provide. It is the applicant's responsibility to submit all required documentation in support of their application in order to receive full credit for their Indian Preference, education, training and/or experience. ADDITIONAL INFORMATION WILL NOT BE SOLICITED BY THIS OFFICE.
High School or General Educational Development (GED) Diploma.
Must provide a copy of the front and back of your Commercial Driver's License with your application.
• Appointment may be subject to a suitability or fitness determination as determined by a completed background investigation.
• Must be able to obtain and maintain a background clearance.
• Must obtain and maintain a valid Commercial Driver’s License (CDL).
• Must demonstrate the ability to follow written and oral instructions.
• Must complete a pre-employment and annual physical and with the ability to lift fifty (50) pounds.
• May be required to wear personal protective equipment.
• This position is subject to both pre-employment and random drug testing as a condition of employment.
• Applicants will not be appointed to the position if a verified positive drug test is received.
• Incumbent may not have any Driving While Impaired/Intoxicated (DWI) arrest or conviction within in the past (2) years, or more than (1) DWI conviction in your lifetime.
• Moderate physical effort is required.
• Must be able to lift over 50 pounds and must be in excellent physical condition.
• Good hand and foot coordination is required.
• Good vision and ability to read without strain, printed material the size of typewritten characters is required, glasses permitted.
• Ability to hear the conversational voice, with or without a hearing aid required.
• Must have mental and emotional stability.
The Investigative Process for Public Trust Positions: Background investigations for public trust positions are conducted to gather information to determine whether applicants are reliable, trustworthy, of good conduct and character, and loyal to the U.S. The information that provided on the Questionnaire for Public Trust Positions (SF-85P) and the Declaration for Federal Employment (OF 306) may be confirmed during the investigation. The investigation may extend beyond the time covered by this form, when necessary to resolve issues.
The applicant's current employer may be contacted as part of the investigation, although the applicant may have previously indicated on applications or other forms that the applicant did not want the current employer to be contacted. If the applicant has a security freeze on their consumer or credit report file, then the agency may not be able to complete the investigation, which can adversely affect the applicant's eligibility for a public trust position or the ability to obtain Federal or contract employment. To avoid such delays, the applicant must request that the consumer reporting agencies lift the freeze in these instances.
In addition to the questions on the SF-85P, inquiry also is made about the applicant's adherence to security requirements, the applicant honesty and integrity, falsification, misrepresentation, and any other behavior, activities, or associations that tend to demonstrate a person is not reliable, trustworthy, or loyal.
After a suitability /fitness determination is made, the applicant may also be subject to continuous vetting which may include periodic reinvestigations to ensure the employee is continuing suitability for employment.
Persons submitting incomplete applications will be given credit only for the information they provide. It is the applicant's responsibility to submit all required documentation in support of their application in order to receive full credit for their Indian Preference, education, training and/or experience. ADDITIONAL INFORMATION WILL NOT BE SOLICITED BY THIS OFFICE.
NOTE: To ensure compliance with an applicable preliminary nationwide injunction, which may be supplemented, modified, or vacated, depending on the course of ongoing litigation, the Federal Government will take no action to implement or enforce the COVID-19 vaccination requirement pursuant to Executive Order 14043 on Requiring Coronavirus Disease 2019 Vaccination for Federal Employees. Federal agencies may request information regarding the vaccination status of selected applicants for the purposes of implementing other workplace safety protocols, such as protocols related to masking, physical distancing, testing, travel, and quarantine.
To apply for this position, submit a complete Application Package to include the following:
Copies of Official or Unofficial College Transcript may be accepted for initial qualifications evaluation or pay setting. Transcripts MUST show the degree awarded, date conferred, and all required courses as required by the position. Please note, this may be shown with multiple transcripts.
Upon tentative selection, you MUST submit Official transcripts for all colleges attended before final job offer can be confirmed.
*Active duty military members who are selected may not be appointed unless on terminal leave or already separated from the armed forces.
** The "certification" is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions not later than 120 days after the date the certification is submitted. The Statement of Service must be signed by, or by direction of, the adjutant, personnel officer, or commander of your unit or higher headquarters, AND the Statement of Service letter must include your rank, dates of active duty service, the Type of Discharge, Character of Service (i.e. honorable), and, if applicable, when your terminal leave will begin.
Applications and all accompanying documents must be received by 07/14/23 - 04:00 pm, Mountain (DST).
St. Stephen's Indian School, 128 Mission Road, St. Stephens, WY 82524
For VERIFICATION of our receipt of your application-resume, please contact: Kimberly Summers, Principal, (307) 856-4147
Applications and all accompanying documents must be received by the closing date & time of the announcement.
Applicant’s qualifications will be evaluated solely on the information submitted by them in their applications.
Applications become part of the official record and will not be duplicated or returned.
This office accepts telefaxed applications.
Applications mailed using Government postage and/or envelopes are in violation of OPM and postal regulations and will NOT be considered.
This office does NOT accept applications via e-mail.
PLEASE NOTE: Documents submitted as part of the application package, to include supplemental documents, may be shared beyond the Human Resources Office. Some supplemental documents like military orders and marriage certificates may contain personal information for other than the applicant.