Tribally Controlled Schools
There are currently ninety-seven (97) Tribally Controlled Schools (TCS) within the Education Resource Center (ERC) team networks of Albuquerque, Nashville, Seattle, Minneapolis, Flandreau, Kyle and Bismarck. These 97 TCS’s are all spread out across the United States and they are the schools under the direction of individual Tribal Governments which have chosen to exercise their self-determination rights through a process of self-governance.
As a program within the Bureau of Indian Education, we are part of a large network that provides technical assistance to schools in an effort to help them provide eligible Indian students with a high quality education that reflects their unique cultures and communities. We believe students need to be fully equipped as problem solvers, critical thinkers, future leaders and to use these skills as they help their Native communities flourish.
We are a team of educators, assembled to assist and network with our Tribally Controlled Schools across the Nation. We follow the Vision, Mission and Core Values of the BIE, shared below:
The Bureau of Indian Education is the preeminent provider of culturally relevant educational services and supports provided by highly effective educators to students at BIE – funded schools to foster lifelong learning.
The mission of the BIE is to provide students at BIE-funded schools with a culturally relevant, high-quality education that prepares students with the knowledge, skills, and behaviors needed to flourish in the opportunities of tomorrow, become healthy and successful individuals, and lead their communities and sovereign nations to a thriving future that preserves their unique cultural identities.
BIE employees carry out the mission to achieve the vision through guiding organizational principles underpinning how the work of the BIE is successfully accomplished.
- Excellence: The BIE achieves success through continuous self-assessment and improvement.
- Focus: The BIE is student-centered, a commitment to addressing the holistic needs of students.
- Integrity: The BIE maintains high standards of character and professionalism as the foundation upon which the agency is built.
- Respect: The BIE fosters communities of support through mutual regard and collaboration.
- Service: The BIE supports students through proactive and responsive teamwork with schools, Tribes, and communities.
Tribally Controlled Schools Directory
Monthly Technical Assistance Calls
Monthly Call Agenda
- January 2019 Agenda
- February 2019 Agenda and Link to February recording
- March 2019 Agenda and Link to March recording
- April 2019 Agenda and Link to April recording
- May 2019 Agenda and Link to May recording
- June 2019 Agenda
- July 2019 Agenda and Link to July recording
- August 2019 Agenda and Link to August recording
- September 2019 Agenda
- October 2019 Agenda and Link to October recording
Monthly ADD Curriculum Webinar