U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Personal Identity Verification (PIV) Credentials

Personal Identity Verification  (PIV) Credentials

The BIE Personnel Security Office (BIE PerSec) manages the PIV Credentialing Program at BIE in accordance with 2004 Homeland Security Presidential Directive 12 (HSPD-12)

New Employees and Onboarding: 

What is a PIV Card?

PIV stands for a "Personal Identity Verification" Credential. PIV cards are used government-wide to control access to Federally Controlled Facilities and information systems at the appropriate security level.

Why do I need a PIV Card? 

The Department of the Interior (DOI) requires a PIV Card to access IT systems on the DOI-Network. This includes IT systems such as FPPS, FBMS, DOI Talent and many other systems used by BIE employees that contain Personal Identifiable Information (PII).  

Who gets a PIV Card? 

All BIE federal employees (Title 5 & Title 25) are required to have an active PIV Card. In addition, contractors may occasionally require a PIV Card on a case-by-case basis. If you have a contractor who may require a card, contact your servicing Personnel Security Specialist. 

How do I get a PIV Card? 

Individuals must be cleared by BIE PerSec, on-board as an active employee, and sponsored for a PIV card by BIE PerSec before they can obtain one. They must also complete enrollment at a USAccess credentialing center. 

***Please DO NOT schedule an enrollment appointment without being instructed to do so by PerSec.*** 

What is enrollment and how do I enroll? 

Enrollment must be completed at a USAccess credentialing center and it consists of capturing electronic fingerprints, taking your photo, and providing two forms of identification that are scanned by the registrar completing your enrollment. This information is used as part of the identity-proofing process that the federal government uses to enable the right individual access to the right resource at the right time and for the right reason in support of federal business objectives.  

Once instructed by BIE PerSec, review the enrollment instructions and schedule an appointment with the Federal Scheduling tool. An enrollment appointment typically takes 15-30 minutes to complete. 

***Please DO NOT schedule an appointment without being instructed to do so by PerSec.*** 

What should I know before I go to my enrollment appointment? 

You MUST have an appointment, most sites cannot accept walk-ins.  

You MUST also have the appropriate forms of identification to complete enrollment. To avoid being turned away, ensure you have the required acceptable forms of ID. You will need to present the registrar with two (2) acceptable forms of identification. At least one (1) of these must be a primary form of identification.  

You CANNOT use an expired ID to complete enrollment - any IDs used MUST be current and valid.  

You may present two (2) primary forms of ID if you do not have any secondary forms. 

Note: If you do not have at least one (1) form of Primary ID and another secondary form of ID, you will NOT be able to enroll/register for your PIV Card.   

What do I do if I am running late to an appointment at a credentialing center? 

We cannot guarantee that the credentialing center will hold your appointment time. Some are flexible on late appointments, while others do not honor late appointments, so we cannot recommend a specific course of action if you are late. However, if you think you may be late to your appointment, it is in your best interest to check the Operating Hours Online to make sure the center is at least open for your planned time of arrival. 

There are no time slots for the closest credentialing center. What do I do? 

Many of the credentialing centers operate on a limited schedule and may not have available time slots. If you need special exceptions for specific credentialing centers, please contact your processing Personnel Security Specialist for assistance with scheduling an appointment. Otherwise, please look for available time slots at other nearby credentialing centers. 

Can I have the PIV Card shipped to a different location than where I enrolled? 

Yes. Please contact your processing Personnel Security Specialist and they can work with you to have the card shipped to a new location.  

I enrolled or re-enrolled (photo and fingerprints) several weeks/months ago, when will my PIV Card be ready? Where do I pick up my PIV Card? 

Once your PIV Card has been delivered to an approved Ship To location, you will receive an email directing you to set an appointment to pick up and activate your card. The email will come from the “HSPD12Admin@usaccess.gsa.gov” account, with the Subject Line “USAccess Credential Ready for Pick Up”. The email will also contain a password/PIN that you will need to activate your card. Be sure to bring this PIN with you to your appointment so you can successfully activate your card 

It is important that you make an appointment at the same USAccess center identified in the email, as this is where your PIV card is located. Once you have made your appointment, you can get driving directions by using the Find USAccess Center feature on the Fed ID Card website. If you did not receive this email, please check your Spam or Trash folders as it may sometimes be flagged as such by your email provider. If you still cannot locate this email, please contact your processing Personnel Security Specialist for the status of your card delivery. 

Existing Employees with a PIV Card: 

What is a DOIAccess Card or PIV Card PIN? 

A Personal Identification Number (PIN) is the number that you use with your card to validate you are who you claim to be. The card and the PIN are legally binding! The PIN can be any 6 to 8 numbers in length. PINs can ONLY be numbers. It is better to use a longer PIN if possible. Do not make the PIN a number associated with you or your family or one that can be easily guessed by finding out about you (e.g. date of birth, phone number, family dates of birth, etc.). If you use a birthdate or phone number make it one of your favorite deli, rock star, movie star, or author not directly traceable to you. 

How many times can I enter my PIN before I get locked out? 

You have 5 tries to enter your PIN before it becomes permanently locked (blocked).  To unlock your card, you will have to: 

  • Make an appointment at a Credentialing Center to reset the PIN. 

  • Visit a bureau/office light activation station (LAS) 

I have forgotten my PIN or locked my card. How do I reset my PIN? 

To have your PIN reset, you'll need to visit an enrollment or activation center. You may visit the GSA website to find all shared locations across the Federal landscape. If you cannot find a location near you, please contact BIE PerSec for further assistance. 

How often do I have to change my PIN? 

Never, unless you suspect it has been revealed. A few of the advantages of using your PIV card and PIN are that you only have to use numbers for your PIN and you never have to change your PIN unless you think it has been compromised. If you suspect someone else knows your PIN report it immediately and change it. You are legally liable for all actions taken with your PIV and PIN. 

I received an email about my certificate expiring. What does it mean and what do I do? 

The expiration date printed in the top right corner of the credential refers to the expiration of your PIV Card, which usually last for 5 years. However, the certificates on the card expire every 3 years. This is based on government-wide policy for this specific type of electronic certificates. Please follow the directions in the email to schedule an appointment at a credentialing center for a Card Update to update the certificates before they expire. The update should take no more than 10 minutes. It is impossible to change the date of the expiration. Also, the certificates MUST be updated the day prior to the expiration date. For example, if the email states that the certificates expire on 07/01/2021, they must be updated by 06/30/2021. If the certificates expire, the card itself will terminate and will no longer work. Once that occurs, you must contact BIE PerSec for assistance.   

I am getting married or divorced and changing my name. Do I need a new PIV Card? 

Yes. Your PIV Card should match your legal name. Prior to requesting a new PIV Card, and change in the USAccess system, please make sure you have the required acceptable forms of identification for proof of citizenship documentation available with your new name or relevant personally identifiable information on it that has changed. Please read the Acceptable Forms of ID Guide for detailed instructions about what to bring to each appointment. Next, contact BIE PerSec to ensure that your name may be changed in the USAccess system. Once they have updated your name, you must then re-enroll, and get a new PIV Card. You will need to bring you new forms of identification with you to your enrollment. 

My PIV Card is lost or stolen. What should I do? 

Immediately notify your supervisor as well as the BIA IT Help Desk and BIE PerSec so they may terminate the certificates on your card, and it may not be used by another person to access DOI computers, networks or facilities. 

My PIV Card is damaged. What should I do? 

Immediately notify your supervisor as well as the BIA IT Help Desk and BIE PerSec so they can make the necessary accommodations to have a new card issued to you.  

Is it okay to store my PIV Card in my wallet or a plastic cardholder?  

No, please do not store your card in your wallet, purse, or any unapproved plastic cardholder or sleeve. The volatile chemicals in some plastics and leather can damage your credential. Also, please do not expose your card to extreme heat or cold for long periods of time as this can also damage your card.  

My PIV Card isn’t working and I’m teleworking, who do I contact? 

First, contact the BIA IT Help Desk at HelpDesk@bia.gov or (866) 703-7100 for assistance. The Help Desk may be able to grant a temporary log-in exemption to log in to the DOI network without your card using alternative multi-factor authentication (AMFA). DOI has approved AMFA for use in these situations for PIV Cardholders who meet certain criteria such as having an active DOI network account and having a DOI-approved virtual private network (VPN) connection such as PulseSecure installed on their work computer. Once you have contacted the Help Desk, then contact BIE PerSec for assistance with troubleshooting your card and ordering a replacement if necessary.  

I am moving to another Federal Government agency. I already have a PIV Card from BIE, do I have to get a new one?  

It depends. If you are transferring to another Bureau or Office within the Department of the Interior (DOI), you will keep your current PIV Card when you transfer. If you are moving to an Agency or Office that is not part of DOI, you will turn in your BIE-issued PIV Card and it will be terminated. You will then receive a new PIV card when you start work at your new agency 

I still have a PIV Card question, or I am having an issue with my card that was not previously answered. Who do I contact at BIE if I need help? 

If you have any PIV-related questions that were not addressed, email BIEPersec@bia.gov for further assistance. When emailing, please include the phrase “PIV Card Question” to ensure it reaches the appropriate team member. 


An official website of the U.S. Department of the Interior

Looking for U.S. government information and services?
Visit USA.gov