- Establish a clear communication plan with parents or guardians of special education students to understand their needs and preferences during remote learning.
- Schedule virtual meetings with parents and the IEP team to review and update individualized education plans (IEPs) to align with remote learning requirements.
Remote Learning Accommodations:
- Ensure that all accommodations specified in the IEP are implemented in the remote learning environment.
- Collaborate with teachers to provide training and guidance on how to effectively implement accommodations during online instruction.
Assistive Technology Support:
- Identify and address the assistive technology needs of special education students to facilitate remote learning.
- Offer training and technical support to students, parents, and teachers on using assistive technology tools effectively.
Scheduling and Flexibility:
- Develop a flexible schedule that allows special education students to access synchronous and asynchronous learning activities based on their individual needs.
- Consider individualized breakout sessions or small group instruction for more personalized support.
Specialized Support Services:
- Continue to provide related services outlined in the IEP, such as speech therapy, occupational therapy, counseling, and social work services, through teletherapy or virtual sessions.
- Collaborate with service providers to ensure they have the necessary technology and resources to deliver remote services effectively.
- Establish protocols for regularly monitoring the progress of special education students during remote learning.
- Use various assessment tools and data collection methods to gauge student growth and adjust instruction as needed.
Parent and Teacher Collaboration:
- Encourage ongoing communication and collaboration between parents and teachers to address any concerns or challenges related to remote learning.
- Provide resources and strategies to support parents in assisting their children with remote learning tasks.
Individualized Learning Plans:
- Develop individualized learning plans (ILPs) that outline specific goals and objectives for each special education student during remote learning.
- Review and update ILPs regularly in collaboration with parents, teachers, and related service providers.
- Develop a plan for transitioning special education students back to in-person learning when it becomes feasible.
- Address potential learning gaps and the social-emotional needs of students during the transition.
Staff Professional Development:
- Offer ongoing professional development for teachers and staff involved in special education to build their capacity for remote instruction and support.
- Provide training on differentiated instruction, behavior management, and effective strategies for remote learning for students with diverse needs.
Communication and Resources:
- Create a dedicated webpage or section on the school website with resources, guidelines, and support materials for remote learning and special education services.
- Ensure that all stakeholders have easy access to information and updates related to special education during remote learning.
Continuous Improvement and Feedback:
- Regularly seek feedback from parents, teachers, and students to identify areas for improvement in the delivery of special education services during remote learning.
- Use feedback to refine and enhance the support provided to special education students.
Use these links to access information based on user type and/or implementation speed.